Manoj Mohanka Biography
Indian Businessman, Financial Adviser & Angel Investor
Over 25 years of experience in global capital markets, corporate finance, accounting, corporate governance and management as an angel investor, entrepreneur, governing board member. Specific hands-on experience of numerous international acquisitions in Asia and Europe in transport, real estate, entertainment, and manufacturing; fund raising through IPOs in India and abroad; transacting with VCs, PEs and commercial banks; arranging business collaborations/tie-ups; and a deep understanding of the regulatory and government framework. Strength in depth in finance, but recent focus has been corporate strategy and increasing market share.
- Master’s in Strategic Marketing – National University of Ireland
- Chevening scholar – London School of Economics
- B.Com (Hons) – St. Xavier’s College, Calcutta
Angel investor from the early 90’s onward
Srei International Finance in leasing and infrastructure
- Invested at a time when the company’s asset size was sub INR 50cr
- Worked with the promoter to raise capital both from an IPO and multilateral agencies. The business grew manifold. Exited to promoter group at 7X.
TV18 India in broadcast media
- Invested with the top line < INR 1cr. Worked directly with the promoter to bring a foreign “partner” and launch India’s first business news channel.
- Worked closely with government as the regulations were totally unclear at the time. Created an overseas subsidiary, marketed television software globally and sold advertising space too for the company. IPOed at 25X
Magus in customer dialogue
- Opened doors for new business and made many introductions for capital raising
3D Technopack in manufacturing decorated plastic tubes
- Co-invested in a sick packaging unit and changed the entire manufacturing and processes with machines from Europe.
- Floated a company in Paris with local staff and sold India manufactured goods without losing on arbitrage. Now second largest player in the niche after Essel.
Artevea Digital India in tetra digital radio communication
- Telecommunication Systems integrator which was on the verge of closure
- Supported a MBO and secured a 15cr IRS contract for them
Batchmates.com and WoNoBo.com, two internet ventures
- Conducted several strategic tie ups for Batchmates and was involved in growing the community. Raised capital and finally got sold to an overseas group at 3X
- Involved with WoNoBo from concept stage with raising capital, product development, team building & strategy. Exited to promoter before launch.
Served on several corporate boards across a wide range of industries in India & abroad
Scomi International Pte Ltd (The Scomi Group is a Malaysian conglomerate with interests in transportation, oil and gas, and logistics)
- Has been advising and working closely with Scomi from the time it won the first monorail contract in India in 2006-07
Titagarh Wagons Limited
- Joined the board from inception, helped diversify the company’s business; proactively involved in overseas acquisitions
TV18 Broadcast Limited, Network18 Media and Investments Limited (see investment)
3D Technopack Limited
West Bengal Industrial Development Corporation
- Invited to join state government’s industrial promotional agency, brought about transparency in the tender process & worked on state government divestments
Indian Terrain Fashions Limited
- Involved in raising capital and advising company on new areas of growth
India Carbon Limited
- Implemented new accounting standards, corporate governance and solved litigation in a joint venture
Extensive experience having served on several boards
- President of the Calcutta Chamber of Commerce
- Chairman, Young Presidents Organization, Calcutta
- Co-Chairman, Economic Affairs Committee of FICCI (Eastern Region)
- Board of Governors – Eastern Institute of Management
- Committee Member, Indo-Italian Chamber of Commerce